Sunday, May 2, 2010

"And I live still?" - Armida

Last Saturday, it was my first time ever to attend an opera. It was a HD live Met performance of Rossini's Armida. I thought that attending the opera won't be an ecstatic experience, I just wanted to check this off my wish-list. I'm a classical music fan, but operas seemed out of my league, maybe because of the fact that they're sung in a completely different vocal form than what I'm used to enjoy. I just thought that I need to attend an opera to confirm my "prejudice" that the opera is not my cup of tea. However, as the acts of Armida kept going one after one, I was mesmerized! I was caught up in a trance of a haunting performance and profound emotions that I've never expected to feel at an opera performance! I don't know if it's the complexity of Armida with its virtuoso arias, or if it was the experience of the opera itself as a rich form of classical music. Two scenes in particular shock me in two different ways; one of them was the ballet act, but that's to be seen and not explained, and the other one was the finale, and it is the act that compelled me to write this entry. I spent many hours trying to reach a reasonable translation of most of that act, and thought I'd share it here. But to put this final act into context, here's a very brief synopsis of the story of Armida.
Armida is an oriental sorceress at the time of the crusades, who wanted to weaken the christian army by enslaving its best soldiers. Among them was Rinaldo, whom she was already in love. She takes him to an isolated island and turns it by magic into a pleasure palace. He forgets all about battle and his duty to fight, and basks in her love. Two of his colleagues; Carlo and Ubaldo, come to bring him back and remind him of his sacred duty. He's torn between his love and his honor, and decides to leave with them. Upon hearing that he's leaving, Armida comes after him, and the following act takes place:

Armida
(from afar) Stop, you traitor!
Rinaldo
It is she ... Oh God! ... Do you hear her?
Carlo
Arm yourself with courage, friend.
Rinaldo
Alas!
Ubaldo
It may be beneficial for you to listen to her. If you resist her charms, her tears, you will prove yourself to be a hero.
Armida
(hurrying after him) It is true? ... and you are leaving me? You cruel!
Rinaldo
Destiny calls me ... Glory invites me to the field of honor ...
Armida
And glory makes you betray love, faith?
Rinaldo
(leaving) A sweet memory for me you will always be ... Remain in peace ... (To himself) Ah! it breaks my heart!
Armida
(stoping) Peace! can my pain find peace?
Ubaldo and Carlo
(talking to Rinaldo) Resist! Hide the pain from her!
Armida
Leave if you want, my only request is that I follow your steps.
(Rinaldo shows his rejection of her words, turns away, and starts leaving.)
Armida
(continuing) What more would you like? I can be your humble handmaid, whenever you want ... I will follow you as a servant wherever the ardor of war takes you ... I will be your most fervid follower ... I will care for your horses and weapons with all my vigor; I'll be your devoted lover.
Rinaldo
Alas! How I would love to follow my heart!
Ubaldo
Deceit!
Carlo
Trap!
Armida
What more do you want? I will be your squire and shield. Nothing will hurt you; it will have to pass through me first!
Rinaldo
Armida, it is time to put our mistakes into oblivion. You stay. (leaving)
Armida
Ah! Stay? And do not whine?
Rinaldo
What a punishment!
Armida
You want me to dry my eyes, and stay still, you cruel? You have the heart to leave me in this state? In my cruel torment? A grief that won't go away. You don't possess not even a spark of pity? A wild animal gave you his life, and on his soul you have nurtured! You son of cruelty!
Rinaldo
(stopping) You can not change your fate, nor I can change mine.
Armida
Ah! At least give me death, and put an end to my suffering!
Ubaldo and Carlo
(to Rinaldo) Hold on now and be strong.
Rinaldo
Farewell ...
Armida
Listen, my beloved! ... A single moment I beg!
Ubaldo
No more!
Carlo
(dragging Rinaldo) It is time to leave.
Armida
I am teetering into a pit! ... I can not stand... I feel... oh God!... Falling down...
(falls unconscious)
Rinaldo
(who was being taken away, goes back in haste) Armida! My most beloved!... Oh! I will help her!
(Ubaldo and Carlo lead him away by force)
(Armida, now that Rinaldo is away, gradually regains consciousness, then gets up, looks around)
Armida
Where Am I?! ... Flee! Leave me! Like that! The ungrateful could? ...
And I live still? ... And my desolate heart is still beating? ... What shall I do? Revenge ... Love ... Which of you I must listen to? ... What an excruciating choice!

Now this may seem very similar to many heartbreaking, even cliche, love scenes in countless chick flicks, but the intensity with which this part was sang, and the chocking melodic voices, shock me to the core, and I could feel the utter pain and agony and struggle that each of the two lovers had to endure, and the choices they had to make. It has always been very frightening for me to imagine how true love can break a soul to humiliation if it is not reciprocated, and yes, no matter how a woman can be strong and even when she possesses the power of "magic", she can be most vulnerable when in love. The irony here is that with all her magical powers, she could not let a man forget his duty. Not that a good woman would like a good man to forget his duty, but it was really cruel to face the prospect that while she was willing to let go of everything just to be with him, he was willing to let her suffer.
Armida eventually decides to listen to revenge and not love, so at the end she has her powers still, but she will have no mercy and kindness in her heart anymore!
End of story, and end of a wonderful experience that I will no doubt like to do again.

1 comment:

paul said...

great post

thanks for sharing your opera experience

Template by:
Free Blog Templates