Sunday, March 2, 2008

Another day

It's been a very trying day at work today; Sunday is a day in the week in which I have work from 8 to 12, then a break, then some more work from 4 to 8. I can't blame anyone for this; I did it to myself as I was the one who set the timetable. Actually, the only three problems I have with such a day are:
  • I repeat the same things four times!
  • My back hurts by 6 o'clock!
  • I have four hours of spare time that I either spend alone or with colleagues; not that spending time with my colleagues is that bad; but I'd rather stay alone than keep talking and most likely say all the wrong things, despite the fact that I'm constantly training myself to talk less. Another fact is that they're all younger than me; sometimes much younger, and I don't find that situation gratifying at times (because they make me feel soooo old :D)

As for today in special, I had fun because the section was about the twelve principles of distributed database systems. I found myself to be fluent although I didn't read the chapter, I found myself engaging my students in problems and ways to overcome them, and I found myself to not be that cynical anymore. It's true I said things that should put me in the blacklist (as if I was ever on any other list!!!), but overall I talked in favour of hard work always paying in the end (at least I hope it does!)

At the end of the day, I met a former student of mine; Nehal; who was the first caller in Calls, and I had fun talking with her n our way home. She asked me at some point: "Why didn't you try to pursue a career in another venue besides academics?" and it didn't take me much time to come up with the answer; I love studying, and I love understanding things and making people understand or at least willing to understand. Although it would be nice to engage myself in some practical venues just to keep in touch. But my greatest passion is to read anything and everything that manages to be interesting to me. That's the point me and Ahmed Elsumm were making at one of our conversations; that what keeps you going and excelling at your job is for you to be passionate about it.

I'm falling asleep now as I'm talking, so until next time.

No comments:

Template by:
Free Blog Templates